The news site of Harrison High School.

The Catalyst

The Dangers of Drunk Driving

Emmanuel Bankston, Staff Writer

As we all know, drinking and driving simply do not go together. According to the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependents Corporation, 32% of fatal car crashes  involve an intoxicated driver or pedestrian. On the road, drivers have to react really quickly and have to be aware of their surroundings. Alcohol in the body affects one’s ability to make quick decisions on the road and react to different environment changes. This became devastatingly clear on May 11, when five teenagers were involved in an alcohol related car crash in Sterling Heights. Investigators found that the driver lost control of the car, which flipped on its side and landed in a river. Only two of the five teens survived the accident.

” Drinking and driving don’t mix,” Blake Peterson , 11, said. “If you’re drunk, get a friend, cab or another ride from someone else. It’s not worth risking your life as well other people’s around you.”

” If you drink and drive I feel like you should be held actionable for your actions because you are putting other people in danger.” Nia Williams, 11 said.

” Drinking and driving is not good,” Noah Hendricks, 9, said. “If you do it, it can put you in danger and at risk, as well others around you. If you do have alcohol in your body you should try to get a ride from someone else.”

The community in Sterling Heights is coming together to remember the students that were hurt and that died in the fatal accident.  They had a vigil in a local park after the event. So remember, if you choose to drink and drive you are not only risking your life, but possibly others in the car with you or on the road.

The news site of Harrison High School.
The Dangers of Drunk Driving