The news site of Harrison High School.

The Catalyst

More Academic Leniency for Student-Athletes?

Drew Hoelscher, Opinion Writer

Academics and athletics have long clashed in the lives of student-athletes. Student-athletes that spend over seven hours in school per day and then have anywhere from one to five hours of practice per day sometimes struggle to complete their work for school or make sure they have completely learned certain concepts for school. With this known, there are many teachers that are not understanding of this, demanding too much of the student-athletes and limiting the student-athletes’ success.

Although academics are the priority in student-athletes’ life, some student-athletes need their sports in order to be accepted into or pay for driving. Almost all student-athletes would agree that there is a lack of leniency within the realm of academics needed in order to achieve as highly as possible in both realms simultaneously: academic and athletic.

As a student-athlete myself, I know that there often is not enough time for both homework and training with adequate sleep, and many teachers are not willing to give the lenience required to complete both. Many people acknowledge that most student-athletes will not become professionals, so academics is the most important part in student-athletes’ life for the future.

However, with high college tuitions and the difficulty of being accepted into college increasing, some student-athletes’ need athletic scholarships or athletic success on a college application to help pay for or be accepted to college and ultimately advance their academics for future careers. This can be seen in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), where, according to the NCAA, 53% of Division I and 56% of Division II receive some form of financial aid for their sport (it is worth noting that although Division III schools cannot directly give athletic scholarships, 75% of the student-athletes in the division pay a tuition lower than normal).

The NCAA also gives over $3 billion to 460,000 student-athletes in athletic scholarships alone, which is over $6,500 per student-athlete annually. It is worth noting that NCAA student-athletes also generally graduate at a higher rate than the general student body of the colleges. Many college professors tend to be lenient with their student-athletes’ academics as well, which is worth noting.

For student-athletes to succeed in high school and eventually college, they must receive lenience to achieve in academics and athletics, as some student-athletes rely on their sports in order to afford or be accepted to college. In order to fix this issue, school policies from both school administrations and teachers must be changed to assist and accommodate student-athletes that need athletics to further their educations.

The news site of Harrison High School.