The news site of Harrison High School.

The Catalyst

Syria Missile Strikes Provoked by Chemical Warfare

Liamarie Hammerly, Staff Writer

On the morning of April 6, Trump launched 59 Tomahawk missiles towards Syria. The attack, known as the Shayrat missile strike, was aimed at the Shayrat airbase and was a direct response to The Khan Shaykhun chemical attack that happened on April 4. Trump notified members of the U.S congress, Canada, the UK, and Australia. Trump also notified the Russian government to minimize any Russian casualties. The Tomahawk missiles hit hardened aircraft shelters and aircrafts, radars, ammunition supply bunkers, defense systems and petroleum and logistical storage, according to the New York Times. 

“I don’t think it was the right decision because first off, I don’t completely believe that Assad ordered the chemical [attack] and instead think it could’ve been ISIS or the Syrian rebels,” Roland Hill, 12, said. “Secondly, Trump said he wasn’t going to get us into anymore pointless wars, even though it seems like this was just a one time thing, so he more or less broke his word.” 

“I think he should’ve made sure that there weren’t any civilians in the area,” Zach Voyles, 10, said.  “But since the target was a terrorist organization then it was warranted.”

The governments of Albania, Australia, Bahrain, Bulgaria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Georgia, Germany, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kosovo, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom supported the strike and even stated that the strike was a way of saying the US was against the use of chemical warfare, according to ABC news. The attack was launched toward the Shayrat air base, located in Homs Governorate, due to American intelligence believing that the airbase was the base that housed the aircraft that carried out the Khan Shaykhun chemical attack. The Khan Shaykhun chemical attack had an estimate of 47 people and 11 children killed and over 300 wounded, according to the BBC news.

This tragedy has impacted the views of Trump by some students.

“I now see him as someone who may jump to extremes in order to destroy threats against the US,” Voyles said.

The news site of Harrison High School.