The Catalyst

-Secrets of the Android-

Andrei Ursu, Staff Writer

Hey Android users!

Do you love your phone? Do you feel like you know everything about your phone? Well, you don’t! Here are some little secrets that will blow your mind  if you are new to Android. These are neat little tricks that can help those that are tech savvy and those that are not. (Sorry iPhone, but Android only)

1. Your phones candy name! Android has a list of what your phone’s (dubbed) candy name, based off your software info.

To see your software info, Step 1. Click on Settings, Step 2. Go down to “About Phone”, Step 3. Go down to software info and click on it (Some people might directly see Android Version and skip step 3.)   If your software is: 1.5, it is Cupcake| 1.6, it is Donut| 2.0-2.1, it is Eclair| 2.2, it is Froyo| 2.3/2.3.3, it is Gingerbread| 3.0-3.2, it is Honeycomb|, 4.0/4.0.3, it is Ice cream sandwich| 4.1-4.3, it is Jelly Bean| 4.4 and any wearable extensions, it is KitKat| 5.0-5.1, it is Lollipop|6.0, it is Marshmallow (MINE)| 7.0-7.1, it is Nougat| 8.0-8.1, it is Oreo|

Now that you know your candy name, time to discover your special hidden game/feature! If you click on Android version, which is in software info, about 8-9 times in a span of 2 or 3 seconds a screen will appear showing an icon in the middle of the screen. Tap / Tap and hold the icon for about 10 seconds and you will see your special  hidden game/feature!

2. Developer options! For people that are developing on Android, or for people that just want to see some neat options on their phone to make them feel special, this is very cool to have.

To unlock developer options, you have to Step 1. go to Settings,  Step 2. Go to About Phone, Step 3. Go to Software info, Step 4. Click on your build number about 6 times. You will know you are doing it correctly as writing will appear at the bottom of the screen saying: “You are 3 steps from being a developer” continue tapping, “You are 2 steps from being a developer”, “You are 1 step from being a developer”, and “You are a developer!”  After you get this message, go to home, click on settings, and at the bottom, right above “About phone” you will see Developer options.

Congratulations!  You have just acquired developer options and may feel free to explore what they do!

Some highlights are: Show touches, Simulate color space (for the color blind), and Show CPU usage.

ENJOY!

• -Secrets of the Android-

Top Stories

When Social Media Becomes a Chore

• -Secrets of the Android-

Top Stories

Why Teach Fish to Climb Trees?

• -Secrets of the Android-

Opinion

A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

• -Secrets of the Android-

A&E

Best Music by the Decades

• -Secrets of the Android-

Feature

The Growth of Technology

• Feature

Sophomores Sliding

• -Secrets of the Android-

Feature

The Man Behind Our Principal

• -Secrets of the Android-

A&E

What are you Watching Your Movies on?

• -Secrets of the Android-

News

Mr. Cassatta is Leaving Harrison

• -Secrets of the Android-

Sports

Stealing in China

The news site of Harrison High School.
-Secrets of the Android-