The Catalyst

The Growth of Technology

Josh Corsi, Staff Writer

At HHS the people, as well as the technology, have developed throughout the years. This has changed the classroom work dynamic, lifestyles of the student body and faculty, and the availability of information for the general public. With the aid of the new technology, the process of learning has grown into something unique and controversial due to the positive and negative effects technology has on the classroom.

Currently at HHS the student body uses chromebooks on a daily basis to complete work and research to further their education. The availability of information from the Internet provides students and teachers with endless learning possibilities. It also helps teachers provide instruction to large amounts of students with the help of Google Classroom, which allows teachers to create a classroom to post assignments and reminders for their class schedule. This allows the student body and teachers to have a convenient way to communicate and collaborate. With the use of Google Classrooms the school is able to also use Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, and much more. With the help of these programs, students have grown to enjoy the available technology.

“I think that technology has provided more good than bad in the classroom because of how convenient the Chromebooks are to the students.” Derek Schmidt, 11 said.

While some students favor the use of technology, others find it distracting.

“People are always on their phones or have their headphones in, which creates huge issues while the teachers are trying to teach,” Raed Mohammed, 12 said. “It also makes it hard to learn because of the noise.”

Though the use of technology in the classroom has benefited the learning and instruction of HHS there are downsides to the new age of technology. As technology has grown stronger and better cellphones have become quite a prominent issue within schools due to their endless distractions they provide in the class setting. With the use of cellphones students have been able to communicate with each other much easier allowing cheating to grow into an entirely new game. Present phones also allow the user to listen to music and travel throughout several social media sites and play countless games. With these various distractions present in the classroom it has made it quite difficult for teachers to instruct their lesson for the day.

• The Growth of Technology

Top Stories

When Social Media Becomes a Chore

• The Growth of Technology

Top Stories

Why Teach Fish to Climb Trees?

• The Growth of Technology

Opinion

A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

• The Growth of Technology

A&E

Best Music by the Decades

• Feature

Sophomores Sliding

• The Growth of Technology

Feature

The Man Behind Our Principal

• The Growth of Technology

A&E

What are you Watching Your Movies on?

• The Growth of Technology

News

Mr. Cassatta is Leaving Harrison

• The Growth of Technology

Sports

Stealing in China

• The Growth of Technology

A&E

Boom!

The news site of Harrison High School.
The Growth of Technology