The Catalyst

How to Survive Finals

Josh Corsi, Staff Writer

The time has come at HHS for students to buckle down and open up their books to begin to prepare for their midterms/finals. As a senior at HHS, I have managed to collect several different studying tactics from teachers, friends, and personal experiences. With this knowledge I would like to pass down any aid I can give to the younger grades.

As stressful as these times may seem, it is vital to remain calm and plan your studying. Planning how and when you will study for each class is the best way to start. Laying down everything you have in front of you and organizing your information will help comfort your mind by letting yourself take in and get a first impression of what you’re dealing with.  After organizing your notes, homework, and tests/quizzes you can begin to study, but since the exams require everyone to learn so much for one test it is best to start early with the studying to allow your brain time to form connections and officially learn the information.

“I’ve always gone through my notes and annotated the information to put everything I need to know into my words to help me learn.” Zeeshan Tariq, 12 said.

John O’Connor, 12 likes to take a more social approach to his learning. “I like to get together with some of my friends to study because sometimes when I don’t understand something having other people will help me understand the topic better,” O’Connor said.

While some may enjoy studying with others there are plenty of other ways to get prepared for exams.

“When I have to memorize or remember something for a class I like to make a quizlet for the class,” Drew Hinckley, 12 said.  “It helps me learn while I’m making it, and it helps my class because I will post it on Edmodo.”

It is also quite important to allow yourself breaks within your studying time because burning out is very dangerous to your health as well as your memory. Personally I’ve found that studying in intervals of an hour or two and then taking a break will allow me time to learn as well as cool down to process and absorb the information. Lastly, it is vital that if you’re preparing for finals that you get a steady nights sleep every night because while sleeping your brain is processing and organizing everything you saw and learned that day. Once it is time to finally take your finals, just remain calm and stay focused on what you’ve learned and go get that deserved A.

• How to Survive Finals

Top Stories

When Social Media Becomes a Chore

• How to Survive Finals

Top Stories

Why Teach Fish to Climb Trees?

• How to Survive Finals

Opinion

A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

• How to Survive Finals

A&E

Best Music by the Decades

• How to Survive Finals

Feature

The Growth of Technology

• Feature

Sophomores Sliding

• How to Survive Finals

Feature

The Man Behind Our Principal

• How to Survive Finals

A&E

What are you Watching Your Movies on?

• How to Survive Finals

News

Mr. Cassatta is Leaving Harrison

• How to Survive Finals

Sports

Stealing in China

The news site of Harrison High School.
How to Survive Finals