The news site of Harrison High School.

The Catalyst

If You Elect Me President, I Will Create An Elaborate Title!

Natalie Luterman, Opinion Writer

“Make America Great Again!” is not an uncommon campaign slogan for those appearing on the republican ballot, and while it seems obviously due for a “and I will do this by…” kind of followup, Donald Trump, a very loved and very, very hated presidential candidate, seems to be an unending spiel of sparkley  promises without verification. Although his leading status of 673 delegates proves that his methods, in addition to his fiery and often offensive persona, must have some foothold in public opinion, it is absolutely clear that Trump’s statements have gaping holes in place of support and explanations.trump

Of course, in saying this, I am negating the views of Trump’s millions of supporters throughout the nation who cheer from under his podium and wave his banners (stamped again and again with the ambiguous “Make America Great Again!”) and mutter his hashtags on social media. While undoubtedly many of these supporters adore Trump as wholly as any other candidate, many of those who I know personally see him differently. I’ve heard a lot of half-enthusiastic comments about how Trump is simply “the best we have” despite being unpresidential, rigorously speaking the uncensored “cold truth” with passion enough to truly enhance our stubborn nation. I understand the frustration behind this position, but I don’t understand where this assurance comes from. In order to prove he can “Make America Great Again,” Trump must provide evidence as to how he intends to carry out and enforce his ideas, and his inflammatory personality blinds his viewers of the fact that he hasn’t done this. Bottom line- a skyscraper can’t be built upon a blank blueprint, no matter how powerful its title is.

One speech on Trump’s campaign website is particularly guilty of this- a forty-two second rant called “Unifying the Nation” in which he proclaims the following:

“Our country is totally divided. There’s so much hatred, so many problems. Our president was a terrible unifier. He was the opposite of a unifier; he was a divider. I will unify and bring our country back together. It’s something I’ve done all my life. I get along with people. A lot of people don’t know that about me. They don’t think that’s the case. It is the case. I built a great company by bringing people together. I will bring our country together. We will be unified, we will be one, we will be happy again.”

I have many questions about this speech. What is he referring to as “divided” and, more importantly, “unified”? If he means in terms of the nation’s patriarchy, someone should let Mr. Trump know that we haven’t been “unified” since the Era of Good Feelings in 1817, which President Barack Obama or anyone within this century had no part in destroying. If he means in terms of the public generally being isolated from one another, I feel that an explanation on how he plans to remedy this proclaimed issue is due. Is he planning on having a nationwide ice cream social? A therapeutic seminar? What exactly does he plan to do? Additionally, he stakes a claim about his people skills that he verifies only with “because I said so.”

He’s exemplified the same thing in another speech, “Law Enforcement Respect,” which is a whopping one second longer than the last. He states, “The police in our country are not appreciated. We do not give them the kind of respect they have to have. Sure, there’ll be a bad apple, there’ll be a bad thing happen [sic], and it ends up on the news for two weeks, and everybody hates the police. The fact is, they do an incredible job. We have to give them more authority, and we have to give them far more respect. Without the great police forces that we have throughout the United States we wouldn’t be sitting here; we wouldn’t have the lives that we have. They do a fantastic job. We have to appreciate and respect our police.”

Although I agree with this overall message, the wording and tone of voice in which he describes the occasional “bad apple” policeman appears to be purposely nullifying the pain caused by police brutality. But aside from this, I, again, don’t understand the aim of this video. Never does he state, “I am going to…” at all. It seems like Trump is aimlessly preaching shiny statements that make him look more presidential. Furthermore, he does not explain his claim that the police force deserves “more authority.” What authority is he planning to hand out? Is he subtly denying the debated claim that the police should wear body cameras, or that policemen that break the law deserve a fair, unbiased trial that some do not receive? To be honest, I don’t think that “authority” is even the right word to describe what he intended to get across, as his planning of real legalities addressing this issue are, as usual, not expressed.

From these two examples, and other less specific ones I’ve seen, I’ve concluded that Donald Trump projects a lot of empty calories into his political schema, attracting supporters only with emotion and not with a concrete set of goals. It’s absolutely disturbing that this man might end up in the White House, taking with him a void of skeletal chunks of policies, dooming his citizens to disappointment. Is his kind of angry rambling really going to “Make America Great Again”? I think not, and this is the question voters must ask themselves before putting their ballot in the box.

The news site of Harrison High School.