The Catalyst

A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

The+Senior+section+keeping+the+Pep+Rally+lit.+
The Senior section keeping the Pep Rally lit.

J'Lynne Raines, Staff Writer

6…5…4…3…2…1…WE ARE OUT. To be more specific, that is exactly how many months seniors have until we are able to complete our journey in high school and head onto a different path, whether it is college, trade school, entrepreneurship or wherever else life takes you. It has been four long years for some. Me, personally, it seems like the four years have flown past. On the first day of school, I can bet that each person in the class of 2018 was nervous. We were asked questions about our short-term goals, long-term goals, what college we wanted to go to, what we wanted to do once we graduated college, and anything else anyone influential in our lives could come up with. Although, some years have not gone on without a hitch, we have now successfully gotten through freshman, sophomore and junior years and are praying for senior year to just fast forward. Despite our excitement and readiness to graduate, there is definitely going to be something that we are going to miss about HHS. There was definitely some excitement in preparing and going to homecoming, attending football games, being with our friends at the pep rally, going to various parties and much more.

When asking seniors how they felt about their final year, most were ecstatic, and it was apparent that they may even have senioritis- which is a condition some seniors get which causes laziness, eagerness to leave, etc. It can only be cured by graduating.

I asked some students who they will miss, and Brandon McDowell said “I am going to miss Mrs. Dean.” In addition, I asked him what advice he would give to underclassmen, and he said “High school will blow right by you. Don’t take the time for granted. I have matured and I understand how serious you have to be for the real world.”

Vonzale Carson, in addition to staying focused in high school, said “ Don’t stress about things and make sure you have good time management.” This is very important, not just in high school but all throughout life. Time management is about being able to handle all that life throws at  you, which includes school work as well as any other interests or goals you want to accomplish.   

Grades are important, especially when getting accepted into college. However, high school is where some of the greatest memories are made.        

It is important in high school to be well-rounded. That includes academics as well as extracurricular activities, which consists of clubs, sports, arts and entertainment. Nevada Hargress said “Playing sports such as basketball and tennis helped the year go by faster. The people and the atmosphere made high school great. It’s a very positive environment.”

Another piece of advice pertains to the ins and outs of high school, drama. Some of the people that you are friends with freshman year are not going to be with you all the way up to senior year. If you do not get anything from reading this, know this: do not let anyone, whether it is a friend, boyfriend, even a family member, distract you from achieving your goals and graduating high school. Be forewarned that what you do in high school, such as what you post on social media and the decisions you make, affect you throughout college and possibly the rest of your life.

I hope reading this helps not underclassmen, but also juniors and seniors prepare themselves for the next stages of their life. I truly wish everyone the best of blessings and hope that everyone gets what they want out of life.

• A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

A&E

Best Music by the Decades

Top Stories

The HHS Wrestling Team Opens New Doors For Students

Opinion

More Academic Leniency for Student-Athletes?

• Opinion

The School Decision

Feature

Eliminating Stage Fright

Opinion

Why Us? (original poetry)

Opinion

The “Tea”

Feature

Let’s Stay Together

News

How to Survive Finals

• Feature

Just stand up!

The news site of Harrison High School.
A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown