The Catalyst

Stealing in China

UCLA
UCLA

UCLA

UCLA

Christion Jones, Staff Writer

Three UCLA superstars Liangelo Ball, Jalen Hill and Cody Riley all were accused of shoplifting from a Louis Vuitton store in China. UCLA was overseas to play Georgia Tech’s basketball team. When the team visited the Louis Vuitton store the three athletes began shoplifting. It wasn’t until after the team came back to their hotel room that China’s police arrived and interrogated all the players without the coaches being present. This left the coaches without a clue as to why their players were being interrogated. 

After the media got hold of the news social media went crazy with memes and Internet jokes. Many of these were about Liangelo Ball, also known as “Gelo” since his father is a millionaire who owns the Big Baller Brand. His brother is in the NBA, and with the money they’re making off the reality show “Ball in the Family” many argued it was of no need to him to steal based on how wealthy the Ball family is. The three freshmen potentially faced 3 – 10 years in prison, according to BleacherReport. The laws in China about shoplifting are much stricter than the laws in America, and they have a totally different political system. Luckily President Trump helped the teens get out of China without jail time.

Some HHS students feel like it’s Liangelo Ball’s own fault. “He lived in LA in Chino Hills,” Jaivon Leali, 12 said. “He had money. Why would he try to steal? He went to another country and broke a law over something he could afford.” 

Another senior thinks Liangelo should have been given less of a punishment since he already spent some time in a Chinese jail. “ It’s not fair because China already gave him his consequence, so he should still be able to play for UCLA’s basketball team.”

Liangelo left UCLA and is now playing overseas with his younger brother Lamelo Ball.  Jalen Hill and Cody Riley’s suspension has extended from half the season to indefinitely and they will not be reinstated to UCLA’s basketball team according to The Washington Post. 

• Stealing in China

Top Stories

When Social Media Becomes a Chore

• Stealing in China

Top Stories

Why Teach Fish to Climb Trees?

• Stealing in China

Opinion

A Seniors’ Feature: The Final Countdown

• Stealing in China

A&E

Best Music by the Decades

• Stealing in China

Feature

The Growth of Technology

• Feature

Sophomores Sliding

• Stealing in China

Feature

The Man Behind Our Principal

• Stealing in China

A&E

What are you Watching Your Movies on?

• Stealing in China

News

Mr. Cassatta is Leaving Harrison

• Stealing in China

A&E

Boom!

The news site of Harrison High School.
Stealing in China